Thursday, December 10, 2009

Treading Water

So, I had a long moment of personal panic the other evening.  And it was VERY un-fun.  But it proved to be helpful and a bit enlightening once I managed to shut-up my inner-howler-monkey-freak-out-voice (not to be confused with outer-howler-monkey-super-excited-voice) and really think about my little dilemma.  

I've been cast in the production of "Postmortem" by Ken Ludwig at our local community theatre (insert outer-howler-monkey-super-excited-voice here____) and I'm loving every minute of it because I haven't been in a play since high school and I looooooooove theatre.  *side bar... if you are familiar with the play, I'm playing Louise!!  If you aren't familiar with it...you simply must get your hands on a copy!  Wonderful play.....witty, hysterical, dramatic, mysterious.  Simply wonderful!*  Now then, with theatre acting comes the need for a biography for the program so the audience can get to know the actors a little bit in their natural habitat.  This theatre is great because the cast just had to fill out a short questionnaire about the who, what, where, when, whys, and hows of our lives and the director will write the bios for us. 

This is where my moment of panic came in.  One of the questions was, "What are your goals or aspirations?"

....uhhhhhh.......well, I, ah......maybe....no......I guess...umm....no


HOLY SHIT!...I'm a 27 year-old college graduate and I have no CLUE what I want to do with my life!!!!

WHAT does that SAY about me!?!?!?  (don't answer that)

My degree is a BA in communication with double emphases in broadcasting and public relations.  I was a news and sports reporter for 2 years before I moved to Florida to be with my husband.  I would be willing to get back into news but...meh.  I live in Panama City Beach which has no PR companies that I know of (and the news stations aren't hiring at the moment). Plus, I'm sorta toying with the idea of starting my own wedding planning company.

Soooooooo,  yeah.

Whilst I am performing the great job hunt (like everyone else in the nation) I've decided to dip my toesies into the freelance writing pool just to see what kinda cash where that gets me.  So far I've only submitted one essay to Skirt magazine for their upcoming January issue...and I haven't heard anything back...yet; but I have lots of drafts in the works for a couple other publications that hire out freelance work.  Anyone know of any??  I'm also still working on our book...but that project is a long way off from being finished and submitted for publication.  I don't blog nearly as much as I would like to but I'm sure that will come with time, and practice in self-discipline.  Any advice on turning my blog into a meal ticket?  I'm pretty sure THAT would be great motivation!  I know I can place ads in my sidebar but how exactly does that work and does it really work??

I'm sure you're dying to know how I answered that looming question on the bio.  Well, as far as the audience members are concerned my goals and aspirations can be summed up in one statement....  "to be a wildly successful published author/writer."

At least it sounds like I have a life or that I'm gloriously delusional.  Either way, it's more interesting than "idunno".

No comments:

Post a Comment